ioby is hiring an experienced engineer to take our organization through an important growth transition: bringing our software development in-house. We have outgrown the agencies who have so far led our technology development because our platform is too critical to our mission. In this role, you will take full responsibility for our existing code base, define our architecture and engineering practices, and build our future engineering team.
This is an opportunity to have a transformative impact on our organization. We're looking for someone who has full-stack engineering experience across the entire software development life cycle, and who is excited about owning our software engineering and platform development. The role will work with the product management team to deliver our product roadmap.
ioby is a nationally recognized nonprofit mobilizes residents with good ideas to become powerful civic leaders who plan, fund and make positive change in their own neighborhoods. Our platform is about much more than just crowdfunding -- our unique coaching service, trainings, and resources transform local leaders with support and funding from their communities to make our neighborhoods more sustainable, more just, more livable, and more fun. We have received recognition and awards from the Obama Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation and the National Conference on Citizenship. For the latest on our work, check out our 2019 Giving Report: https://ioby.org/2019 . For our most recent updates on ioby's ongoing commitment to racial equity and justice, please visit https://ioby.org/about/principles and https://ioby.org/blm/statement .
- Transform our product releases into reliable and predictable upgrades to our technology platform
- Identify where product roadmap delivery needs additional development resources
- Deliver the product roadmap through collaboration with complementary development resources
- Set the course of our future technical architecture to align with the delivery of ioby's product vision
- Help build product-centric culture at our organization by collaborating with marketing, customer success, and other teams
Characteristics of Ideal Candidates
- Experience leading all high level technical decisions and guiding all engineering execution
- Open to exploring new technologies and taking risks in order to meet established use cases
- Empathy for user needs, both internal and external
- Ability to problem solve in complex system workflows
- Ability to prioritize, and remain process-driven in a fast paced environment
- Enjoy working on a highly collaborative team
- Extraordinary verbal and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills to meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to liaise with non-technical staff to communicate both high-level strategy and weedy issues
- 5+ years as a hands-on lead engineer
- Experience creating standards for multi-developer engineering environment
- Repeat experience in implementing responsive design, payment processing, external CRM integrations, and content-based front-ends
- Experience building or growing diverse technical teams in at least one other business context
- Experience mentoring or managing other engineers, including contractors or part-time talent
- Experience with data protection, privacy and systems security
- Experience conducting regular troubleshooting and/or quality assurance
- Passion for our mission
The salary range for this position is $110,000 - $130,000 for staff in NYC and San Francisco, and $90,000 - $110,000 for staff in Cincinnati, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit and most other cities.
We recognize that, as a non-profit, we have resource constraints that make it harder for us to compete with for-profit tech companies salaries, so we want to be clear about the benefits of working at ioby.
First, working at ioby full time includes a generous benefits package, which included full coverage for health, eye and dental. We also provide a minimum of 27 PTO days in addition to 7 paid holidays.
Second, we're happy to be flexible. This is designed as a full-time position, but we are open to a temporary-to-permanent transition or short term (3-6 month) renewable contracts. In addition, we have several people on staff who are fully remote, and while we have a preference for co-location in one of our offices in Brooklyn, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Detroit, all locations will be considered and we would be happy to consider a fully remote position.
Third and most important, you'd be joining a great organization with great culture. Most of our staff love ioby’s attractive "Whole Person" policy, which is described with ioby's Principles here https://ioby.org/about/principles . We're a white-led, multi-racial team of people who are passionate about justice. You would be joining our team in a year where we were able to be responsive to community leaders during COVID19, and in which our staff and Board are co-creating our Racial Equity Framework.
To inquire or apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter through workable. No calls please. The deadline to apply is July 6, 2020.
- July 6: Deadline to Apply
- July 7-10: Phone interviews
- July 13-17: First Round Interviews
- July 22: Final Interviews
ioby's Non Discrimination Policy
ioby is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. ioby’s organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA persons are always strongly encouraged to apply.